Monday, October 3, 2011

PTSD

Although I have not been diagnosed with PTSD, I certainly recognize that I have several of the symptoms. There is some good information here about PTSD: what it is, symptoms, and what one can do about it.

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/what-is-ptsd.asp

Besides the trauma of the two relationships I've written about here, I've also survived a violent assault by a complete stranger in downtown St. Louis, spent many months with both my father and my closest aunt as they died, survived being right in the middle of two tornadoes - one while 8 months pregnant with Alexandria in a closet with a twin mattress on top of me and the other in a closet with one daughter in each arm, and a couple of bad car wrecks. So there are plenty of reasons why I could have PTSD. I'm not sure what to do with that, except be aware of it. It is interesting to discuss with others who also have symptoms. The mind is a facinating and complicated organ. Probably one reason I was interested in getting my BA in psychology.

1 comment:

AmyG said...

You are blessed my friend, the world needs you here.