Women often don't leave domestic violence because they know that when they do leave the danger of more severe violence increases dramatically. Violence, and the sheer terror of it, is one of the principle reasons women don't leave. And the women are right!
Fact: When domestic violence victims attempt to leave the relationship, the stalking and violence almost always escalates sharply as the perpetrator attempts to regain control.
Fact: The majority of domestic violence homicides occur as a woman attempts to leave or after she has left. Fact: The most serious domestic violence injuries are perpetrated against women who have separated from the perpetrator. The women know these dangers. They know them because they've already experienced the violent responses when they've attempted to assert themselves, even minimally, within the relationship. They know because the perpetrators have usually threatened precisely what they intend to if she does try to leave.
Other reasons include: "Because she doesn't think she can make it on her own." "Not enough money to feed the children." "She feels obligated to her marital vows." "It's learned helplessness." "She doesn't believe she deserves better." "She doesn't know where to go." "She wants the children to have a father." etc.
(Again, found on the Internet. I do intend to write personally. That doesn't come so easy. And I feel like I want to lay down some facts first to facilitate understanding of some things before I get started.)
No comments:
Post a Comment